View Single Post
Unread 05/05/2011, 10:22 AM   #7
allsps40
Registered Member

Ok yes you have set up your tank for sps. However that tank really needs to mature more before you add sps. I would be really nervous adding sps into a 1 month tank. If I did it would be a birds nest or something very easy to keep, expect it to not do to well at first also. As I said if you have your sps in a stable tank now and all is going well with it then just wait. You dont need to wait a year like so may sources say. What you are wanting to happen in your new tank is this, bacterial colonization and not the the nitrifying type, algae cycles, plankton blooms yes we do have some planktons in our tanks, pod population to increase. All these things contribute to the stability of a reef tank and the success with sps. Every tank is different so there is no hard here is when you add sps time wise. The best indicator is coraline algae. If it is growing then the tank can support sps. I always wait until I start seeing several small spots growing on my glass and power heads.

Current Tank Info: Past reef tanks: 20H softy, 29G mixed reef, 55G mixed reef, 40B sps dominant mixed reef and 75G sps dominant mixed reef. No tank currently
allsps40 is offline   Reply With Quote