View Single Post
Unread 10/19/2017, 07:55 PM   #32
Kinetic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAClownFish View Post
This setup is really expensive and I wouldn't want to 'waste' it on one anemone that is insanely hard to keep. Also, 8 clownfish in that tank? Wouldn't they eventually kill each other? Honestly, I like the BTA'a idea way more! A whole tank filled with exotic bubbly bubble tips sounds more enticing. In the Reef Hobbyist Magazine, they covered an exotic BTA only tank. They had the craziest colors I've ever seen. Like purple/green and ice blue tips and stuff like that. Or yellow/red.
Well, expensive relatively I guess? My last system was considerably more and, to be honest, not very successful despite that. But you're right, just having one anemone might not be the best. So yeah, going with finding a few BTA's intsead and maybe, just maybe, the ocellaris might take one as a host.

Do a search on clown harems! Yes, there is overwhelming evidence that pairs do best in a specific territory, and our non-ocean sized tanks are definitely small enough to be one entire territory. But, there are a handful of successes with "harems" or "groups" of 5+ that are all young and small, introduced at the same time. Usually, however, they're all from the same clutch of babies. In my case, I'm trying something a bit different, all being from different clutches (except the mocha gladiators). And also, I'm hoping that the mocha gladiators being a pair already will help the top spot (female) already be defined early so aggression for that position won't happen. The alpha male spot might not have a problem either, since the pair is already established. But regular squabbles should be fine. I'm very aware of the problems this can have, and I'm 100% ready to intervene when needed. I'm not going to be in denial of really poor behavior, and am ready for it. The upside is that I may be able to have quite a diverse group that accept a BTA host (though let's be real, they're going to host my damn gyre pump instead).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAClownFish View Post
BTW: May I ask why you chose the Maxspect Gyre? How is the flow pattern of this powerhead? I have one mp10 and can't get a nice flow pattern in my tank. Maybe I should consider another PH so I can use the mp10 for my nano I'm going to set up this weekend.

Well, a couple years ago the Gyre pump had a crazy sale, and I purchasd it. Fast forward a few years and I decided to go with that. I have two MP40s too from my last system, but the gyre has been great. One pump, massive water movement, no dead spots. It's less of "streams" of flow, and seems to actually move the water as a mass with some momentum. So far so good, though I don't have any SPS yet (gotta get BTAs, let them stop walking around so it's not complete genocide). But the water flow is pretty intense. I'm sticking with it for now, and have no indications or problems that I can see right now.

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote