View Single Post
Unread 07/10/2012, 10:02 PM   #233
Finsky
Registered Member

I am not a Marine Biologist and I am so grateful to have you "correct" my "errors"

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxII View Post
Finsky,

I dont mean to be rude, but there is some misinformation in your post:

Anemone's are the host organism. Clownfish are symbionts being hosted by the anemone.

Clowns bring food to the anemone because its a safe place to bring food, and they dont have to fight other fish for it. They are not feeding the anemone. The anemone has feeding response to the food touching its chemical receptors. But the clowns are not deliberately feeding the anemone.

My Picasso Percula clowns almost killed my purple based H.magnifica anemone.

Heteractis Magnifica - Tell me some success stories 1st page, post 15 is where I start detailing the process I used to bring the anemone back to full health. These same clowns killed a larger and healthier H.magnifica I bought locally less than 6 months prior to this, by stealing food from its mouth. I had no idea clowns could do this so I didnt pay too close attention and by the time I figured it out, it was too late and the anemone was not able to survive. These clowns were about a year and half old at that point and were not at breeding age. They are now.

The part where you state a weakened anemone would die on its own without a host, (symbiont) is entirely correct. If its so weak that it wont survive on its own, adding clowns to it is the worst thing you could do it. Get the anemone healthy first, then add clowns. If the clowns are too rough, then remove them and wait until the anemone is in better shape.

As far as clowns being tank raised causing them to steal from the host anemone. I have two pairs of breeding Percula's, both were captive bred and steal from their host. I have had other wild caught clowns that did the same thing.

The vast majority of commonly available clownfish in the hobby are actually tank bred and raised these days. The exotic breeds are generally the ones that are wild caught. Chrystopterus clowns, (Blue Stripe) clowns are a good example of this.

I'm not advocating keeping anemones without clowns. I'm advocating acclimating anemones without clowns until they are healthy enough to handle it. There is a difference.

Nick
Yes, I should have used the verb "hosting" in the anemone when referring to the clownfish and anemones. I was just reading about the different relationships between ocean creatures "and their scientific terms" for one organism benefiting the other being hurt, both organisms benefiting, one benefiting and the other neither benefiting or hurt, in Tropical Fish Hobbyist or Tropical Fish International with all the biological terms for the different relationships As far as bringing food to the anemone, my Tomato clowns never bring food when I broadcast feed my tank three times per week or lightly feed on off days. The only time I have noticed my Tomatos, the female usually, bringing "food" to an anemone is when I have been target feeding the five Bubble Tip anemones and one True Carpet anemone with their weekly 1/2" pieces of razor clam. The clownfish will only return a large piece of razor clam that was floating freely and they put it in the anemone. I suppose you could get differing views on whether she is "hiding" razor clam in the anemones to eat herself later or "feeding" the anemones. My female Tomato will nuzzle an anemone with a 1/2" piece of razor clam inside it has wrapped around almost appearing to nuzzle the food very lightly.

I would wonder what Julius Sprung would say about your insight into unsuccessful clownfish hosting and your clowns behavior towards your anemones. I think it is possible to have a clownfish do more harm than good with a "sick" anemone although the "sick" anemone maybe is sick in the first place due to incorrect water quality, lighting, circulation in the tank, feeding, etc. I think with all these aspects correct for your anemone, a hosting or clownfish hosting in the anemone is a good thing more often than not. I can only say this from my experience and what I have read.

Please visit the following Web site link to read more on clownfish and anemones which is "probably" written with input by one or more Marine Biologists?

http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatfi...ne-preference/

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef - 250 lbs of live rock, Rena XP4, two Hydor Koralia 3250s, Aqua-Medic Tuboflotor multi 1000 skimmer - Two 60" Marineland Reef Capable LEDs - 8 1/2 years

Last edited by Finsky; 07/10/2012 at 10:23 PM. Reason: grammar correction
Finsky is offline   Reply With Quote