View Single Post
Unread 05/03/2012, 10:41 PM   #1951
terri_ann
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandReefer View Post
I saw your post and hoped someone with experience would chime in.

Hobbyists including myself have kept using carbon sources while dosing AF without problems. I noted good bacteria numbers in my skimmate during this time. Obviously bacteria will reproduce during use of AF. However, AF can act on bacterial. With the low numbers of bacteria in these additives (relative to those in your tank), perhaps adding bacterial sources would not be a good idea during AF dosing. I don't think it would hurt anything, but may kill these suspended bacterial you try to introduce.

Using carbon sources may be a good thing during AF use.
Thanks Cliff for responding I wondered where you went

I've been tagging along for several weeks now. I had used AF several years ago when my tank was FOWLR and it worked well, even no reoccurance of HA. I tore the tank down about 2 years ago and since setting it back up, I've had nothing but problems with high nitrates. I finally resorted to vodka dosing but the trates wouldn't go below 20ppm. When I started to get cyano, I decided to stop dosing. Moved all corals into my frag tank and decided to go Prodibio. After 1 dose, the lightbulb went off...AF

I'll do the 5th dose of AF tomorrow. So far, no sign of dieoff but all the algae is in the hidey-holes of the rock. I had manually removed what I could some time back. I plan to start dosing vodka, vodka-vinegar or just vinegar again once I find the formula. The nitrates will skyrocket when the die-off begins so hopefully the carbon dosing will keep the trates around 20ppm, then I'll start the Prodibio.

My plan will be to dose the BioDigest at least 24 hours after dosing AF. Then 24 hours after dosing BioDigest, I'll dose either BioPTim or vodka/vinegar. I hope that will give the bacteria in the BioDigest a fighting chance and the fuel they'll need to consume the trates.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed 40B Anemone 5' raceway frag tank
terri_ann is offline   Reply With Quote