View Single Post
Unread 10/23/2015, 08:39 AM   #2078
bheron
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
I'll make a few claims here - and see what you think

"Dinos explode when the majority of rock in the system is artificial or decimated through bleaching/baking, etc..."

Another claim:

"The lack of biofauna creates an environment like the ancient oceans, where dinos were prevalent without predators or sufficient competitors"

Final claim:

"Systems with stablished bio rich rocks are not susceptible unless chemicals are used to kill the biofauna on the rocks (like algae or bacteria killers) or starve them."

I think these are great points. Here's my experience and why I agree: For me, my two big battles with Dinos both started after I decimated my live rock - bleach and acid. First time I did it b/c i lost a battle with hair algae and assumed it was b/c of excessive phosphates in my live rock. When I started my tank up next I experienced my first battle with Dinos. They were sooo bad that I decided once again to nuke the tank and start over. Again assumed dinos came from excess waste/phosphates. Bleached and acid'd my rocks again. Completely cleaned out my whole tank, started with a new sandbed and all. Dinos again. And this time I'm pretty sure they came when I added a piece of Live Rock from a trusted source. Seemed like within two weeks I had Dinos everywhere.

So thinking at the start with new tank no Dinos existed in my sytem? system was devoid of live. Then I added some fish and a microfauna pack from IPSF - pods and other stuff. Months later, no dinos. Then I added a piece of LR from LFS which probably had Dinos on it. Lack of established life in my tank = Dinos??

Current Tank Info: 220 since Nov 2005
bheron is offline   Reply With Quote