View Single Post
Unread 10/24/2015, 06:37 AM   #2086
bheron
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet_Ivy View Post
Probably, yeah. With a big element of 'bad luck', since many people seem to start with dead rock and have no problems. I wouldn't even say it was 'bad' live rock.

Your story about trying to get rid of algae and winding up with something worse is repeated many times in this thread.

Ivy (I started with 100% dry rock and sand, probably imported dinos on a coral frag. I did dip everything but that wouldn't kill spores. )
Yep. My piece of LR came from a very well know successful and respected LFS owner in our area. He doesn't even sell the LR but I coerced him into giving me a piece to help diversify the live in my tank. At that point my tank had been cycling for maybe 6 months and had experienced various algae blooms. Had lots of pods and worms and other life. But probbably not enough. Within a few days of adding the single piece of LR it started to get a fuzzy film on it. Then all of my other rock got it. And more algae. So I started an all out war of water changes and GFO. Wow was that a bad move. End result was a Dino problem AGAIN!

As I've said before that may have been it for me in this hobby after 13 years. Until I found this thread.

For me I seem to be winning the war. Dino's knocked down to just some brown leftover matter on some rocks. I'm adding more fish while continuing to over feed. No water changes or skimming. More fish are in QT waiting. Pod population seems to be thriving in my fuge. I feed them every night like they're fish. And next week have a big order from Indo Pacific Sea Farms: lots of snails and more worms.

Current Tank Info: 220 since Nov 2005
bheron is offline   Reply With Quote