View Single Post
Unread 12/18/2017, 03:01 PM   #12
rayjay
Registered Member

The seahorses are MUCH MORE susceptible to nasty bacterial infections than most fish normally kept in reef tanks or fish only tanks.
If your husbandry was only to the degree needed for reef tanks there would be a good chance that infection would occur somewhere down the road, based on how fast the water quality degrades with respect to promoting nasty bacteria expansion, and, the immune capability of the seahorse(s) involved.
So people NOT reporting that from reef tanks using the system is not a good determining factor IMO.
I AM curious though as to why you wish to try to keep conditions as close as possible to average ocean parameters.
Many seahorses are found in waters that are NOT the same as those averages, and, their waters can change quite often due to storm runoff or sewage input to the oceans or waters entering the ocean near them.
My thoughts are that I'd rather concentrate on things that will affect the seahorses health more than trying to duplicate ocean average parameters, especially as there are SO many successfully doing it without that attempt.
For the way I choose to go with my tanks, the Triton method won't do much for me because at least once a month I do a major water change and that would screw up any test results done recently, or would be planning to do based on testing that might be a week or weeks old. Just personal choice.
Over the years I've also perhaps pushed boundaries, and still do, but I don't recommend them to newcomers to the hobby. (or even old timers for that matter)
I will be interested in how your experiment goes over time, but wonder if you are also setting up and identical system to treat normally for a seahorse tank, to be able to compare results?
Sometimes people try something and when they work out, they assume it to be because of the changes when in fact something entirely different has come to play.

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote