View Single Post
Unread 07/31/2010, 11:30 AM   #4
scolley
ARKSC Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolletteiii View Post
You're running 20k and complaining about blue? I don't get it.
You would normally expect a very blue light from a 20K. But Radium 20Ks somehow avoid that, and don't look so blue. Much more white than you would expect.

But my complaint is not about the blue, per se. It's about the color wash out from the whites.

Quote:
You're running 20k and complaining about blue? I don't get it.

I built a DIY array for my 14g nano as well. 6 cree CW's and 5 RB's. I had been running a 150w HQI 20k halide over it. When I put the LED's over it and adjusted them properly, there was very little discernible difference in color. I can't recall the exact mix I used - perhaps 50% dimming on the whites and 65 0r 70% on the blues? The color was perhaps a bit more blue than the 20k, but the actinic pop was WAY more intense, certainly not flat at all.

My new AI modules produce a very white light, and they are perhaps not blue enough for my liking. Color rendition under these is definitely a bit 'flatter' than under the old halide. Certainly not the DIY array, though. I dunno - play with the settings. The color might take a bit of getting used to as well.
Quote:
...perhaps 50% dimming on the whites and 65 0r 70% on the blues? The color was perhaps a bit more blue than the 20k, but the actinic pop was WAY more intense, certainly not flat at all.
In my OP I indicated that the pop of some colors was amazing. I used all caps on the work to make that clear. Again, my complaint is not about that pop. It's wonderful. It's just that to my eye (aesthetic sense), it's overshadowed by the loss of color in those color that are not fluorescing under the blues.

Quote:
Color rendition under these is definitely a bit 'flatter' than under the old halide. Certainly not the DIY array, though. I dunno - play with the settings. The color might take a bit of getting used to as well.
Maybe it is just playing with the settings. I certainly hope so.

And as you said, maybe it's getting used to. But I don't think so. When I switched to Radiums from a Phoenix, that didn't take getting used to. It was BETTER. And when I added the Actinics, that didn't take getting used to. It was BETTER.

With these two LEDs colors, in the blends I've used so far that washing out of the non-fluorescing colors is enough that I'm having a tough time calling this better. Different would be a better word. But then, it's all just a personal judgment, isn't it?

Thanks for the feedback!

Last edited by scolley; 07/31/2010 at 12:03 PM.
scolley is offline   Reply With Quote