View Single Post
Unread 01/11/2017, 08:52 AM   #25
McPuff
Registered Member

It's been a while since my last update. Everything has been going along pretty well...

I have just added the naso and lieutenant tang to the display but they are acclimating to the other fish for a week. I simply built a wall out of egg crate (light diffuser) and blocked off the right side of the tank (the "bommie" section). The two seem very happy already and do not leave each other's side! I don't anticipate any problems once I remove the divider, thankfully.

Discovered a leak in my CO2 regulator (for ca reactor) and there was no way to fix it (at the needle valve). So I ordered one from CO2art.com. It is supposed to arrive today. Has terrific reviews and the price is very nice, even with express shipping. Have been manually dosing for over a month so I'm eager to get the ca reactor back online. Still need to get the feed dialed in though. I didn't put a valve after the manifold so it's a bit harder to create adequate pressure for the ca rx... I may try to use a valve which is closer to the return pump, hoping that the pressure will be greater. Makes sense to me anyway.

I moved the ca reactor into my sump to create more space next to the pond/tub. At some point I may use that area for a QT/TTM tank which would make things easier. It could even give me an opportunity to add a small tank that is hooked into the main system (for tiny critters).

Ordered a bunch of mangroves at the beginning of Dec when it was still warm here in SE Michigan... they were delayed and didn't arrive until Saturday. By then the weather had turned and they all arrived frozen. It appears that they are all dead as the ends are getting squishy. Oh well. Maybe I'll try again in the spring.

The pond (tub) is a blast to have. It has been highly useful as a refugium for chaeto and dragon's breath. It also catches a lot of sediment which is then easily removed. Fish acclimation becomes super easy and the fish get used to having a human look down at them. I really like having fish in there and need to get some more now that those tangs are in the display. Still planning for a pyroferus tang but also have plans for the following:

-cherub angel (have always wanted one!) --- is a trio best??
-blue spot toby puffer
-humu trigger (R. aculeatus), almost certain to remain in pond
-dogface puffer (not sure which morph just yet - maybe even a mappa), also likely to remain in pond
-juv annularis angel
-juv blueface angel
-small fish: blennies, maybe another hawk?,

Planning to add some more corals such as:

-war coral; I think the red will look great and really stand out. Thinking of putting this on a separate rock. Over time it will cover the whole thing, like a brain.
-pink stylo - super bright
-maybe a forest fire digi??
-any suggestions?
As I've stated before, I don't want many colonies, just "a few" that will get big and look nice, bright, and provide new colors. Some of my current corals will take another year or two to get there but I have patience (I think) and have a vision for the "steady state."

Other than the above, I'm considering another small change to a couple of rocks. I'll get another few videos posted soon to go over some changes and experience. I also want to review the CO2art regulator.

Thanks everyone!

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote