View Single Post
Unread 02/27/2007, 07:01 PM   #7
amike5
Registered Member

Your sump, refugium, and return pump are solely for the purposes of filtration and pods. You cannot run 1700gph through a 20 or 30 gallon sump. You will end up with microbubbles, lack of filtration, etc... Besides that, your oceanic 90 overflow will only be able to handle 600 gph MAX! You must use other means for additional flow whether it be by power heads or closed loop. Your return from the sump just needs one line, you may split the line for 2 returns, but it's purpose is not necessarily for circulation. Use that pump you are looking at for a closed loop if you want, you can find more efficient pumps than than one that can be dialed back for a sump return.

In my 95 gallon, I run 500gph through my sump Y'ed off into two outlets. Then I have 2200gph through 4 outlets on an oceans motions for a closed loop.

Down grade to whatever size fits your budget and needs, just make sure all your equipment will fit in it, especially your skimmer.

You can save alot of money making your own sump if you are the handy type. I built a 47 gallon sump/refugium for about $200.

amike5 is offline   Reply With Quote