View Single Post
Unread 08/07/2017, 01:29 PM   #32
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Happy to help. We've all been the newbie, sometimes multiple times, and talking things through helps make a better end result and share knowledge.

The peninsula tank... I like the design, especially if you're going to use the tank as a peninsula layout (more than using the AA tank as a peninsula layout). Also, it's worth keeping in mind that while acrylic is repairable when scratched (as opposed to glass, which is not repairable), it scratches MUCH more easily than a glass tank. Be prepared to stock up with Mr. Clean Magic Erasers (or their cheaper knock-offs from China on Amazon or Ebay).

The hydrogen sulfide, eeeehhhhhh it's effectively irrelevant, but dirty sand beds that cause pollution when disturbed are not. I only mention it not that I'm actually worried about it, but more because it represents the pollution issue. If you're not diligent about vacuuming it frequently, it just holds detritus in the sediment, which could cause nutrient issues if disturbed.

You're also supposed to put your rocks on the glass bottom before adding a sand bed, which if you are moving the tank frequently, you won't likely be able to do since you probably won't siphon and wash out your sand bed every time. Again, I made every mistake and have done every thing I'm recommending you to NOT do, and somehow my tanks have done reasonably well.

If you do want to maintain your sand bed diligently, I'd recommend keeping it shallow (1-2"), and not putting any frags or other stuff in or on it, since it'll make it more difficult to vacuum. So that means everything mounted to the rock.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote