View Single Post
Unread 02/10/2018, 07:03 PM   #31
aussiemantis
Registered Member

Hi, sorry about that. I've tried with debilius - fire cleaner & amboinensis - the skunk cleaner.
I thought that survival rates were good however not as good as my pistol shrimp larvae. Maybe its because they morph at lightning pace compared to the debelius. I've had the skunk cleaner settle in under two months in complete darkness on a diet of live newly hatched baby brine enrichred on phyto from a period of 1-8 days, then some 6 hours old brine after that until the 15th day. Now here is when I start changing the diet to some nice sized copepods from my display which there are applenty. Then at the 25th day I start giving crushed crab cuisine and using scissors 3x a week snip off hundreds of tiny pieces of prawns from a single frozen prawn and put that in there. There pieces are only 1-2mm. To cut it this small you have to squeeze it in your finger first and crush the prawn. I also feed them once a week using nutrafin max marine flakes crushed up because it has iodine and its meant to be good for their molting cycle??..
As of late I've sort of held back on rearing these. I already know of some cues which will cause them to settle and those cues combined with prestine water conditions, and a highly nutritious and varied diet will return high survival rates.
I am currently giving it my all trying to breed the brachiasaurus blenny. I had a male with a haram of 3 females. They are regularly swollen with eggs however I didn't take it seriously until I realised that they were a unique aquarium species we don't get much of, and they are a blenny so they should be fairly easy to raise. I was checking out the brood stock the other day and noticed a lonely dead larvae floating around. I had no idea where it came from however that was all I needed to start taking it super seriously and holding off on the lysmata genus for now. Maybe taking a break from the cleaners will give me a fresh perspective when I try them again. I have a breeding journal which I am writing about the blenny so I'll post that whole thing up one I'm done. I saw that one of the females were swollen and I wrote down the date. Now I'll just wait and try to figure this whole thing out. Larvae will be separated into two breeding containers with only airstones. One batch will be fed live baby brine enriched on egg yolk, another will receive first bites until day 8 then be transitioned to crushed marine flake and prawns.
I will record all progress. Follow along If you have a pair.

aussiemantis is offline   Reply With Quote