View Single Post
Unread 05/08/2012, 06:41 AM   #2390
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandlou View Post
Thank you for your help, I would just like to clarify a few points with you if I may?, Sorry I have a tendency to triple check everything, sorry not sure why not all your text is showing in magenta, I have added all my new text in blue hope this isn't too confusing to trawl through

I post (in this thread) all my replies in magenta to differentiate them easily from the original question. I would appreciate your NOT using blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandlou
Hi I posted a thread in the reef section regarding the compatibility of a Chaetodon kleini and Prognathodes Aculeatus, and it was suggested that I should post here.

They would normally be fine in a larger tank; Prognathodes Aculeatus may or may not get along with other butterfly fish but they are considered quite hardy.

My tank is 220l (L100xW40xH70cm) with approx 20kg of live rock, currently running an external filter with biopellets & carbon, but will be adding a small fuge (approx 40l) in the next couple of months.

Current fish stock is:

1 x Possum wrasse (Wetmorella) [COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]excellent fish[/COLOR] Thank you, I love him

2x Green Banded Goby (Elacatinus multifasciatum)

Planned fish stock is

1x Blue Assessor (Assessor macneilli)
1x Tail spot blenny (Ecsenius stigmatura)
Small school (3-5) Cardinals - Probably pyjama (Sphaeramia nematoptera)
Red Mandarin [COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]marginal in your sized tank unless it has a refugium which should be allowed to mature for a few months[/COLOR], I will ensure my refugium has been up and running for 6 months before adding this one
Butterfly (or 2 to be decided upon - obviously)
Dwarf Angel, Probably Rusty (Centropyge ferrugata)

Corals are/will be a mix of mostly softies and lps although I do have a couple of sps.

[COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"][COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]While Prognathodes Aculeatus is safe with caution, on the other hand Chaetodon kleini is not nor is Centropyge ferrugata. LPS especially would be at risk. [/COLOR][/COLOR] I do not mind some coral nipping as this is in fact the natural behaviour we wish to observe when keeping animals however if you feel either of these species are likely to completely strip my corals in a matter of days please tell me and I will reconsider

As said above I am wondering whether I could have both the butterflyfishes, I know the Kleins is said to do well with other bff but the only info I can find on the aculeatus is that they do not mix well with their own kind in captivity.

[COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"][COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]meaning another of the same species but it may not work; I have never kept this particular fish [/COLOR][/COLOR]
Do you think attempting to keep both would be too high risk then?

In a larger tank it would most likely work, but in a smaller tank, I would be leery

Thanks your for you help.

(this is an excellent thread by the way)
[COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"][COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]Thanks. And thanks for using "real names" as common names are more difficult for me to remember as there are so many "variations".[/COLOR][/COLOR] Your welcome I have found using "real names" to be best after posting on a uk forum with regards to the aculeatus describing both by it's real name and as a 'Caribbean Longnose Butterfly', I was excited to find a lady who was about to get one (they do not seem popular at all in the UK) only to discover when she posted a picture of her new fish that it was in fact a Forcipiger longirostris
Forcipiger longirostris is excellent but gets largish and is about as close to reef safe as butterfly fish get