View Single Post
Unread 12/24/2016, 01:02 AM   #7
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCorn View Post
I love the camera; so much more dynamic range than my Canon gear. Your best bet with aquarium lighting is to shoot raw and correct white balance in processing. Using a white target in the tank can be helpful too. If you've got multi-spectral lighting (Kessel et.al) you can also just the lights while shooting and then put them back.

Adapters aren't a bad way to start, but they're a hassle in the long run. When I switched, that's how I shot but have been gradually switching over to Sony glass. I AM a landscape guy so the fact that my bag is 12lbs lighter is a big deal to me. If you can't afford Sony/Zeiss glass, check out the Rokinon lenses for Sony. They're full manual but reasonably sharp, compact and pretty cheap.

(The lens in my avatar weighed over 5 lbs. The replacement for it has more reach, is just as sharp, is optically stabilized and weighs less than 1 lbs. Don't get me wrong, I loved that Canon 24-70, but not so much that I miss it.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonG View Post
I have an a3000(mirrorless).. And I love the thing for tank photos and editing because it's very, very neutral in its shots, and easy to correct wb(I use camera raw).. I purchased it a couple years ago after having Canon dslr bodies for a long time.. I also was lucky to get it when they were cheap.

I actually an still using my little adapters with the stock lends, but sooner or later, I am going to also pick up a dedicated macro.. But for mostly tank shots, the adapters do surprisingly well.. I don't have to cut the pumps off for the most part either with the manual controls..

I love Sony glass and imaging products..

From note 5..

Thanks for the info guys. I can't wait to get this thing. I probably won't get it until Monday when I see my brother and frankly, I'm chomping at the bit. I want to play with already. Patience is not my forte when it comes to those kinds of things. I will make a point of posting an update once it get the camera and can get a few decent shots taken. I am sure that memory card will filled up in a hurry within hours of getting it fired up.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote