View Single Post
Unread 12/16/2017, 02:21 AM   #9855
karimwassef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinfallz View Post
Hi Karim; your red side / blue side set up isn't that at all in reality & cannot be considered useful as an experiment to determin which is the better spectrum for growing algae.
Firstly, your red side not only flooded over to the blue side of the screen, the red penetrated through the screen to the algae on the 'blue side'.
Secondly, your 'blue side' also had 50% CW LEDs, which have the red spectrum, also shining directly onto that 'blue side'.
how would you know that? did you see my setup in detail? Did you measure the light on the opposite side? More than a little condescending, bud.. but you're entitled to you views and whatever data you choose to believe to be accurate based on your experiences... please don't presume to judge mine based on no evidence or data.

My sheet was ~24" x 36" and with only one side lit up, there was <30 PAR on the other side. Once the algae film started to glow, it dropped to <20 PAR. "Flooding" to the other side? Hardly... Intelligent people can create scenarios that validate their views - don't fall in that trap.

people in the know can also be nice to others... I am sharing my experience and you're free to share yours. Unless you have an independent study authored and independently duplicated in scientific journals that shows that ONLY red light matters to algae growth, your data is your experience.

I share mine because the efficiency and cost of LEDs matters and these puck lights have been very effective, inexpensive and consume less power than the red LEDs to get the same growth. It could be that the red LEDs I was using were less efficient (PAR to Watts). It could be that the combination of red and blue in the white LEDs provided more light PAR and the pucks were more efficient... Those may be valid counterpoints - but assuming that the red light "flooded" to the other side and grew algae backwards on the screen is just confirmation bias.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote