View Single Post
Unread 01/02/2018, 09:35 PM   #11
KarenLR75
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooman72 View Post
No, that is an oversimplification, as aquarium size and sex of the fish matters quite a bit. I have had paired firefish more than once, and in larger aquariums (125+ gallons) I have observed trios and more.
Maybe we're talking about 2 different kinds of fish here but as zooman72 stated, I've seen and also currently have multiple firefish in a 112 gallon tank. We have a dominant size fire fish, don't recall if it's male or female. Originally had 7. Our LFS, who may/may not know what they are doing, recommended certain #'s that 'go together' and that despite the # we put in, we'd find that they dwindle fairly quickly (has anyone else been told that?)

The firefish are cute and nicely colored fish but in my experience, they are not the smartest ones in the tank. We lost 3 in the first few days after introduction to the tank - 1 due to being a jumper before we had a screen on and the other due to mishandling of a rock we didn't realize they were hiding in & 1 who went into complete panic, jumped, swam into my elegance coral, & then floated like prey right by a red shrimp who thought he looked good.

We had 4 happily together for many months but sadly lost fire fish #4 recently after introducing our 2 largest fish to date into the tank. #4 got befuddled & instead of retreating to the rocks they hide & sleep in, it decided to dive into burrow belonging to our Randall's Goby & his pistol shrimp. We never saw him again after that.

So we still have 3 and I wish we had more but after all this time of THESE fire fish being together, I don't feel they welcome any new members to their tribe so we'll enjoy these while we can.

KarenLR75 is offline   Reply With Quote