View Single Post
Unread 02/06/2016, 02:26 AM   #2979
Fish Keeper82
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA View Post
I ran a 9W / 800 g/h UV for months and it had no effect on my ostis.
Monty ran a 55W / 1600 g/h UV for his ostis with same results.

For the tenth time....
Name you dinos.

I'd think dinoflagellates, dead or alive, do not stand a chance against a trip through a good skimmer.
I would also presume it to be much more effective than UV.
That leads to an assumption that if UV is putting a dent in dinos it would be because of something else than it's dino killing abilities.
To be true to my own theories that would be the release of palytoxins into the water column. Dead dinos in the skimmer cup can't do this.
Theoretically speaking...
My Dinos are ostreopsis by comparison of the teatherball motion from PANTS website and UV worked for me. Skimming alone did not lower their numbers during regular photo periods and UV has. I had long strains and now that UV is running only dusting no stringers at ll. although i never tried extended lights out and skimming so i dont know what effect that would have had.
I also note my Dinos are not toxic so what "strain" of ostreopsis IDK. Looks like UV is working for some to different degrees.

I agree we need to id our specific type. Maybe different treads need to be created based on type. Either way me and you would be on the same ostreopsis and UV is working for me to keep them at bay so IDK.
EDIT: There is one ther possibility i just thought of. There could have been multiple types of dinos and UV only affected a certain type and i only saw ostreopsis under the scope. I'll look under the microscope again tomorrow since i have not looked at them since UV killed the initial 95 percent.

Last edited by Fish Keeper82; 02/06/2016 at 02:35 AM.
Fish Keeper82 is offline   Reply With Quote