View Single Post
Unread 03/19/2016, 09:41 AM   #3387
DNA
Registered Member

I just spent some time on google looking at images of dino infested tanks looking for similarities.
What stood out and most seem to have in common is that they are sparsely populated with corals.

That led me to think about the natural chemical warfare in reef ecosystems.
A local friend has ostis, but his tank has always looked better than mine and he's got much more coral density than I have had since dinos showed up.
I had a hard time finding the dinos, but they were there. Then he built a connected frag tank and it got covered, in the empty tanks, with dinos right away.

I'm no expert in this field, but I can guess that corals constantly give off slime to defend the local territory and it's destined to spread around the tank.
Some species are more toxic than other, but they are used by corals for defense and to gain ground.

I could speculate that the toxins that are quite complex molecules don't do well in the pumps and filters so there is less effect from the coral toxins while the dinos pass due to the small and durable build.

A dangerous experiment could include an irritated green-slimer or a palythoa, but I have neither.

You see were I'm going with this....

Last edited by DNA; 03/19/2016 at 09:48 AM.
DNA is offline   Reply With Quote