View Single Post
Unread 06/09/2010, 08:21 PM   #9
PowermanKW
Registered Member

Thanks guys, great discussion.

As far as combining different pellets, I do not think there is enough long term results to even begin to figure out what you would want to combine for what result.

Thanks Highland for the perspective of just how complicated interactions are in our artificial eco systems.

One thing I am most concerned with is if pellets leach carbon... not bad necessarily, but keeping the carbon source isolated in a reactor is one of the big advantages over dosing the whole tank. So if that is not a benefit... that sort of sucks. I do belive there is some indirect loss of carbon to the water column by the bacteria breaking it down, but would imagine it is small and there is really nothing that can be done about that. Something like "messy eaters".

The other thing brought up that is a big question mark..... just what type of bacteria colonize the pellets. I have read other articles about the well known uptake ratio of NO3 and PO4 of bacteria.... and that while different carbon sources may vary well benefit different strains of bacteria.... the NO3 PO4 uptake is not going to be significatly different. Please, somebody correct me if that is wrong.

90g RR SPS dominate. WM K2 skimmer /red nw. 60g fuge/sump. Upgraded Coralife Pro 250w w/ dual Galaxy and 14K Phoenix with 2x96 SPS dual actinic. Apex controller with WXM and two MP40s. Herbie overflow. Now running Warner Marine EcoBAK bio pellets.
PowermanKW is offline   Reply With Quote