View Single Post
Unread 09/30/2017, 12:40 PM   #165
Subsea
Registered Member

Nature is Complex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tyree View Post
Subsea,

Sent you an email about the book link. That is interesting info on what the skimmers can remove. If they could remove 100 % they would stop foaming every now and then. But a well stocked reef tank can constantly produce skimmer foam. So that 40 to 50 % figure seems reasonable. Almost all the nutrients on an oceanic reef are bound up within the existing biomass. What is available in the water column is very minor compared to existing biomass. That is true of organic and inorganic. That is Darwin's Paradox. All that live living in a nutrient desert basically.
Most probably my computer ignorance of operating systems, but have not received ebooks yet.

The four point food web that Karim described is the complex chemistry micros biology and physics of our ecosystems. We put a man on the moon more than 50 years ago, yet we can not cure cancer.

When Ken Feldrman and other researches describes the "coral holibant", they view the eco system from a holistic point of view. On the reef their is "cross talk" between coral and cynobacteria. Randy Holmes Farley describes a autofeed back loop where cynobacteria process Calcium Phosphate on our rocks and absorb phosphate into their body mass.

I had a question about wheather crptic sponges would assist in keeping NPS.
I have a 30G mud macro refugium with an infestation of red planaria. In the past, whith lights out for three months they disappeared. In the past I have kept Sea Apples for two years and flame scallops alive for 18 months. It was my desire to emphasis filler feeders in the 75G Jaubert Plenum DT, especia NPS.

Current Tank Info: 10,000G. Greenhouse Macro Growout
Subsea is offline   Reply With Quote