View Single Post
Unread 12/31/2005, 12:11 PM   #6
jwedehase
Registered Member

River Scout

OK, so we're not all into freshwater fish, I recognize that. I've never had a fresh water tank in my life. However, it was certainly interesting and informative for me to see the River Scout freshwater gallery. This was certainly the most themed of the galleries. The theme was an "Under the River" kind of thing. There were tanks over head, and all the lighting was a dirty yellow. It really set the mood pretty well.

The entrance is highlighted by a rapids style waterfall.

As you walk past the cichlid tank, there is a Payara tank on the left. Being a narrow passageway between these two tanks into the gallery, I was never able to manage a clean shot of the Payara tank. However, notice the false tree trunk and river bank motif. This began the under river theme.

Here's a wide shot of the center of the River Scout gallery. Notice the overhead tanks and tree limbs, and atmosphere.

In the background of this shot is the Arawana tank. There were several 2-4 foot Arawana in there. They are being trained to use their natural activity in captivity. Arawana jump out of the water to grab food (insects, etc) from low hanging tree limbs. The top of the exhibit is filled with tree limbs, of course.

Some fish basking in the "sun."

There was a discus tank, as well. Both side walls were algae covered tree trunks.

And the finale to River Scout was the Asian river otter exhibit. I appreciated the authentic clothes lines overhead.

Last edited by Skipper; 04/08/2006 at 03:41 PM.
jwedehase is offline   Reply With Quote