View Single Post
Unread 12/31/2005, 12:01 PM   #2
jwedehase
Registered Member

Ocean Explorer

So it was a toss-up as to which gallery to visit first. We decided on the big tank. This is the 6.2 Million gallon tank that houses over 100,000 fish, including 2 45' whale sharks.

The entrance had a window to the back of the tank. A teaser.

There was a pretty long tunnel, right through the center of the tank, to get to the other side, where the main viewing pane was.

A school of rays from underneath.

One of multiple hammerheads. This one was probably about 10 feet long.

All the yellow fish are golden Trivolis (spelling?). The following photo was taken at the end of the tunnel, across the tank width-wise. Notice you can't see the far side. That's not just a poor photo. The size of the tank hid all the walls from view. Notice also the natural substrate, at foot level. I really liked this, especially when the only other LARGE tank I've seen is MBA's million-gallon, with tile floors. There were 5 foot manta rays burying themselves in this sand, so I'm assuming it's at least a couple of feet deep.

And the window, the glorious window! This is maybe half of the window. I'd guess it was probably 80 feet wide. It was over twice as wide as it was tall. When we were in the tunnel gawking, one of the employees urged "Oh, just move through this. You're going to come around the corner and just say 'Oh my God!'" And we did.

Last edited by Skipper; 04/08/2006 at 03:16 PM.
jwedehase is offline   Reply With Quote