View Single Post
Unread 08/15/2018, 08:06 PM   #7
da5speed
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefgeezer View Post
I have a "Simple" 90 gallon... 60-ish lbs. very porous rock, skimmer, and a overflow section that, by happy accident, acts as an algae turf scrubber of sorts. The system has a lot of fish in it and I feed pretty heavily.

Don't use GFO or GAC on a regular basis.

Don't use a filter sock on a regular basis.

Don't use a fuge.

30% water changes done in small increments sporadically over a month... or all at once if I get lazy. I even skip a month once in a while.

Dose 20 ml/day of vinegar.

Add potassium nitrate (Solution of Stump Killer in RODI water) to keep nitrates above 0 to 5 ppm.

This is the way the tank runs best. It may seem weird to add nitrate & vinegar, but this keeps the carbon dosing process from becoming nitrate limited so it can control phosphate better. The carbon dosing also keeps the water clearer. I target 2.5-5 ppm of Nitrate and .03 ppm of Phosphate, but I don't get bent out of shape if it is somewhat higher at times... unless algae starts to show up too much... then it on! I hate algae.
Where do you purchase your potassium nitrate? Could you tell me more about how you dosed in the beginning and how offin you dose.

da5speed is offline   Reply With Quote