View Single Post
Unread 01/29/2018, 07:11 PM   #31
HBtank
Premium Member

Withstanding the high end LED fixtures generally placed more aggressively than the manufacture's recommendation (there are examples of great LED only tanks), which is not within a $500 budget, I think cheaper LED solutions are best supplemented with T5s right now, to help with coverage and the "disco ball effect".

I would probably go for something like 2 AI Primes and 2 sun blasters (or other single T5 fixtures) to supplement. That would be ~500. Mounting options is what would steer the final choice. That should be efficient, solid for SPS, reduce the disco effect, and get you cool extras like easy control (even if it is not a priority). Plus it would bridge the gap a bit from technologies.

If I got a single unit, I would get the Photon V2. I think it is simply the best bang for the buck.

Current Tank Info: 80g tank, re-starting a reef after a zoanthid nudibranch plauge, followed by months of steady and unstoppable STN/RTN, crashed; stayed FOWLR for a couple years, currently an aiptasia dominated reef tank with fishies and BERGHIA

Last edited by HBtank; 01/29/2018 at 07:16 PM.
HBtank is offline   Reply With Quote