View Single Post
Unread 11/13/2016, 02:26 AM   #29
siliconinja
Registered Member

Well, I feel as though today marks the first real function progress with the tank. I wired and plumbed my automated RODI system.

As a refresher, I purchased a 6-stage 150gpd kit from brs, an extra pre filter cartridge, a booster pump, and an auto flush kit. I also purchased a Tunze RO Controller 8555.

I started with the tunze controller, which was a bit difficult to figure out at first, especially with attaching the float sensors. Luckily what I had done when hard plumbing the storage tanks was install bulkheads on both tanks. I then dropped a piece of pvc down almost to the bottom of the tank, with a union towards the top of the tank close to the bottom of the bulk head. To install the controller's float switches, I just zip tied the included hardware to the pvc. The pipe also provided convenient cable management.

I then plumbed backwards, and then did the electric work which required some cable management and extension using lamp wire. I have some additional tidying up to yet, but it's 3am and I'm pretty pumped I got it working! Here are some pics:

I had a leak upon start up two places, both with o-rings that came installed from brs. First was the first stage RO canister, which was a little confusing to disconnect at first, but I was able to soak the o-ring in hot water a bit and it regained its shape for the most part. The second leak was in the first stage Di canister. That o-ring was also not installed and compressed properly, and was not able to be reused. To run the system for a full rest I ended up disconnecting the first stage 5 micron sediment filter to use as the first stage di.

I'll have to reach out for a replacement o ring Monday.

On the upside, no leaks at all with the water mixing station. And the pump sounds super cool when it kicks on. I installed it using a timer switch that has an on/off button and also has set intervals of 5min, 15 min, 30min, 1 min, 2hr, 4hr. This should help a bit when mixing salt water.

I will upload a video or two soon showing more detail. I have another stainless steel shelf to install, my initial thought was to use it for gauges. But I kind of like how the gauges are installed now, a little more like a lab. I also need to tap the pex, and install a valve for a permanent supply connection for the rodi system. I was also still planning on setting up a pre-heat bucket so the system runs at optimal temp.

I shut off the system for tonight, I'll fill the drums to capacity tomorrow to rinse then drain to flush the system. I'll install the heater for the salt tank, and mix up my first batch of saltwater. I'll also clean out my qt (biocube 29) and get it sanitized, ready for its cycle and first inhabitants. I'm thinking to keep it simple with a couple of clowns, but open to other suggestions for my first fish addition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

siliconinja is offline   Reply With Quote