View Single Post
Unread 03/25/2011, 11:06 AM   #5
m2434
Registered Member

If you want a Fish Only With Live Rock and Coral (FOWLRC) it may be fine. If you want a reef, you want diversity, and it will absolutely reduce the diversity of microorganisms in your tank, such as pelagic bacteria. Seeing that bacterioplankton is a primary source of food for corals, and corals are literally walls of mouths, suggesting they do indeed like to capture this floating food, I'm not sure why you would want to kill it off. Your corals may be ok, you can throw more light at them and they can get more nutrients from their symbiotic algae. You probably won't see mortality as a result, but that does not mean it is not negatively effecting them. It will cut into the food web.

The only benefit show is that it may reduce floating algae, spores etc... It is not show to reduce any disease in a closed system. It will require energy and light bulbs every 6 months or so.

If you are happy with a FOWLRC and don't mind the extra maintenance, it may be worth it. For many people a FOWLRC is probably all they really want. It has no place in a diverse reef though. I dose carbon and silicates. these reduce nutrients by adding to the food web and as a result I maybe clean my glass with a magnet once every two weeks. Don't need UV to accomplish that.