View Single Post
Unread 12/14/2008, 03:18 PM   #31
Lewy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisstie
I'm afraid to ask how you had the.. you must have some large thunder from down under to manage to shoo the ocotopus into a bucket for a photo, I would be running away from it crying!

I have heard about the large tides but I don't think I can really imagine it without standing there to see.

Strangely your area looks like where I grew up on the south west coast of Florida, USA, at a glance. I was looking at the vegitation and the rock and coral since you're so much closer to the equator and its a whole different world. I love studying the details of a place thank you so much for showing the pictures that you did.

So did you find the angel stuck in a tidepool or was he just extremely friendly? That is really cool!
Someone else caught the octopus with a long handled net. The blue rings can apparently release toxics into the water as well. So you have to be careful. He was the third that we saw that day.

Large tides are amazing and goes to show how tough and resilient the corals are in our area. They also have to tolerate a few hours exposed to sunlight and in the tide pools which get very hot.

Our corals are generally very bland. Browns and light greens. But we do get some fluoro green heliofunias and bright purple gonis. We put it down to the large tidal variations and the turbid water it produces.

I'll take some photos of the are when the tides are in to show the difference.

We found the scribbled angel in a small pool. Because we didn't have nets. We caught it using our hands and coralled it into the bucket. First go we caught a large margined butterfly which we released. The warmer weather must be breeding season as their were al least 6 butterfly fish in every pool!!.

Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote