View Single Post
Unread 03/17/2016, 03:32 PM   #3361
jweist
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
Chaeto died when dinos came in.
Others with ATS had the ATS die when dinos came in.
dinos dont kill GHA. maybe the dinos covered them up but it didn't kill it.
Quote:
That is simple enough. The cure, then, is to raise the level of nutrients to where the ATS or chaeto can begin to fight back by consuming the nutrients. Unfortunately, you could also just be feeding the dinos. In my case, the UV stopped that. The non-free floating algae started to feed and the dinos died.
So it was a helpful tool for you but by it's self not the reason for your success.
Quote:
Sand is key to the nitrogen cycle, ammonia-nitrite-nitrate-N2 gas... etc...
No bacteria is and sand helps keep high populations of it because of its large surface area.
Quote:
Sand is also in my sand bed. The detritus eaters consume animal waste that would become rank in the tank. Their waste is smaller and easier to extract with flow. That's where the skimmer picks it up... export again.
So your skimmer is a export mechanism not your sand bed.
Quote:
The trick is to raise the N and P level up to where those competitors have a fighting chance while knocking the dinos down.
Not necessarily true.
Quote:
C change = "sea change" = we have come to refer to a sea change as being a profound transformation caused by any agency
http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-sea1.htm
When using the short hand C people are usually referring to carbon.

Quote:
Everything in my tank eats everything. My corals eat, my worms and pods eat, my phyto eats... who cares as long as I provide a source of food?
My point is that it eventually breaks down into N & P. This is food for dinos if there is nothing else to eat it.
Quote:
...with NO algae and corals growing so fast I have to give them away.
You just said you had algae, pick one. "non-free floating algae started to feed and the dinos died."
Quote:
Alien species is meant to explain that they're incompatible with the other food chain... that begins with normal algae. They are not algae.
The food chain is all about what eats what. Dinos eat N & P and so does GHA so they are in the same category.

jweist is offline   Reply With Quote