View Single Post
Unread 02/08/2018, 05:53 PM   #3
Anemone
Cloning Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramirezjrj View Post
I have a question. I am starting a 75 gallon tank. A friend gave me his rocks from a tank he ended. The rock was in a plastic bin (no water) in his garage for about 6 months. I got the rock about 4 weeks ago and place them in 50 gallon bucket with of saltwater with a heater and pump. I'm finally ready to fill my tank with water. I don't plan on getting any fish or coral until the end of April or May. Two questions, should I do a water change in the bucket that I currently have the rock in? When I move the rock into the tank should i use new salt water or should I use the water that the rocks have been in for the talk 4 weeks?
I'd get readings on the bucket water before deciding whether or not to use. If there was a lot of dead organics in the rocks after their six month dry spell, your current water may have high levels of nitrate and phosphate, which means, add light and you'll have algae. If the water has high readings in either of those areas, I'd use new water.

FWIW,
Kevin

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL w/Kessil AP700, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 x Vortech MP40s
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote