View Single Post
Unread 03/08/2011, 06:24 AM   #1
sanechka2005
Registered Member

Cycling, quarantine tank, lightening, clean up crew

Hello everybody,
I am new to this forum and hobby. I am planning to have reef tank with some softies for now, and with some high light corals in future. I've got 46 g bowfront fish tank wirh 4t5 lightening ( 36'' long, 39 w each, 2 dual bulbs GLO fixtures, Actinic+ darkblue 22 000 K, and Aquablue+ blue/white 15 000 K .)What can I have in my tank with this type of lightening? What are my options for upgrading?( for future)

I set up filter ( Aqua Clear 70) and Scimmer ( Rimora with 1200 maxi jet), I put 65 pounds of cured live rocks and about 2 inches of life sand . So, now its cycling ( 3rd day)

1)I have question about lightening schedule. Do I have to turn on my lights every day now ( while there are only life rocks in the tank). If yes, how many hours its supposed to be? And which light ( day and moon) and what time should I run them? And what is the lightening schedule is going to be after my tank is fully cycled?

2) Also, do I need to change water while the tank is cycling...If yes, how many times and what percentage of the water should I change?

3) What is the best clean up crew for 46 g? I need to know that since I will put them there in couple of weeks.

4) I am going to set up 10 g quarantine tank. So, what do I need for that?
I've heard that I would need to put 5-10 pounds of live rock?
-So, do I need to cycle the quarantine tank? Is it the same 4-6 weeks ?
- Do I need to add sand there?
- What type of filter is the best for QT?
- Should I use water from the main tank?
-Do i need to put powerheads there for moving water?

Thank you very much I appreciate your help and your responses would be very helpful

Thank you
Alexandra

sanechka2005 is offline   Reply With Quote