View Single Post
Unread 09/06/2017, 06:28 PM   #6
rayjay
Registered Member

While bottom dwelling fish, like any other fish, can add risk to a seahorse tank, they indeed can feed on fallen foods. They won't get it all so the remainder still has to be removed somehow.
The deteriorating water quality doesn't just come from decaying food though, it comes also from decaying feces and as such, the unremoved food that would be eaten by the "bottom" dwellers would exit those fish as more feces which again have to be removed in some manner. Smaller life forms feeding on that detritus will in their turn, produce more feces that still need removal. It's a chain that never seems to end.
Many people use different methods of processing/removal but in my case I chose to go bare bottom and set up flow so most of the crap settles in one accessible spot and I can easily siphon it out. I also blast the hitching/decor to loosen up trapped particles and remove those as they settle as well.
Hopefully other people are going to chime in here so you can get a broader perspective on the hobby as it's not good to just go by one person's suggestions.

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote