View Single Post
Unread 05/01/2013, 10:15 PM   #10
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGuyTN View Post
Did it standing in a bucket of water guess we can rule out electrical leak. On a serious note I didnt wash the new pumps before putting them in the tank. And no temp issues Ive got a strip and digital thermometer and two aquatop 450s all reading 80. Im telling you the other fish are just surfing right along but these Chromis dont like this current. IMHO
In my experience (I've had a LOT of them over the years), Chromis are very sensitive to begin with and need to eat constantly. Most end up dead sooner rather than later no mattter how good the conditions are.

As silly and unlikely as it may sound, I'd still check for stray voltage. It's more than likely it has nothing to do with stray voltage but I can assure you that it's 10x more likely that stray voltage from a faulty pump killed your fish as opposed to too much flow.

It's easy to test if you have a volt meter.

My guess would be one of the following in order of likelihood.

1) Chromis died because the vast majority of them just don't do well long term and any one of the following will exacerbate.

2) Rapid change in water quality whether a fast temp change of as little as 2*, low O2, increase in waste, Drop or increase in PH etc.

3) Insufficient diet, multiple feedings daily

4) Stray voltage

5) Chemicals from pump or foreign source.

5) Lack of aeration

In summery, it's always a good idea to clean your new pumps before putting them in the tank. Also, Chromis die fast and don't stand in a bucket full of water to test your tank for stray voltage because the plastic bucket insulates you from the earth ground just like your shoes do.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 05/01/2013 at 10:58 PM.
slief is offline   Reply With Quote