View Single Post
Unread 11/09/2017, 10:53 AM   #1
Lindsay1126
Registered Member

Question Setting up my first 120 (48x24) reef

Hello everybody,
So I have kept freshwater fish (all kinds) for years. Since we moved across county, I sold off all my stuff. Now that we have gotten settled and bough a home I want to delve back into my hobby. I have decided I want to build my first reef (freshwater just isn't doing it anymore). I want to do this right the first time. I have been using this and many other forums and internet resources to learn as much as I can, but wanted to run my plan by you all to see if and what you would change.

120 gallon (48x24): I want it big enough for me to be happy for several years before upgrading, but small enough to be able to easily do maintenance while I am still learning. Do you think this is the right size?

40 gallon breeder refugium sump: Is this a good size for the 120 or should I try for bigger? What pump do you suggest?

Bean animal, coast to coast overflow: I want to have it drilled for this and then add a C2C. Do you you all like internal or external boxes? pros and cons to either?

Reef octopus 152ss protein skimmer: good choice?

Lighting is of course where I am really unsure. I wanted to go with (2) 360 kessil and maybe add some t5 to get good growth. Or just add (2) 160s to each end, and keep 360s centered? I eventually want to tank that can have clams, anemones and such (that is down the road though as I want it up and running for 7-12 months first and experience under my belt). I will probably start off with some low-mod light, hardy corals to begin with.
Any suggestions there is always appreciated.

Powerheads: I am not sure what to go with here, as I haven't been able to find how much I need for this size tank. I was thinking of a few (have no clue what size) koralias for now, then if I want to upgrade later I can.
Suggestions?

I know I am probably forgetting something big. Oh I will probably be doing a canopy on top.

Any feedback is much appreciated! Thank you.

Lindsay1126 is offline   Reply With Quote