View Single Post
Unread 04/15/2011, 01:29 PM   #8
iwishtofish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmayes34 View Post
my old skimmer did this and it was my skimmer body and skimmer pump needed a good cleaning after that it worked great again! maybe your air intake is clogged??? Just thinking out loud
I cleaned the body and neck out not too long ago, when I didn't really need to. Turned out most of the "dirt" was salt spray on the outside of the skimmer body. The air line appears to be clear - but I'll look more closely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeftivo View Post
How long has the skimmer been in operation?

Could be a variety of things.

Additives, feeding, new equipment in tank, hand oils from fiddling etc, etc.

Could also be the air intake is clogged so try running some hot RO water through the airline and let the skimmer suck it through. Mine gets salt and calcium carbonate build up from time to time and I run RO through mine weekly when I do my water change. Back when I had my Deltec I had to actually ream out the venturi with the blunt end of a drill bit every other week becuase I ran my Ca and Alk very high. Back then it would build quick.
The skimmer has been running about 3 weeks. I always wear either an Aqua Glove, or powder free nitrile food/medical grade gloves when I put my hands in the tank.

All I've been dosing is MB7, and I just cycled with a piece of shrimp. I've also added some omnivorous pellets for the only occupants (12 hermits).

iwishtofish is offline   Reply With Quote