Thread: Improving Flow
View Single Post
Unread 05/06/2012, 07:55 PM   #1
03silvertj
Registered Member

Improving Flow

I posted this originally in "Reef Discussion" but it was suggested that I post it here as well.

Question. I currently have a 220 set up and running, so far with great results. It was a little rough in the beginning, but I am slowly fixing my issues.

This particular question relates to flow in the tank. I have a Marineland 220, dimensions are 72x24x30 with corner overflows. When the tank was first set up there were two powerheads (extremely underpowered for my tank). I have since upgraded to a VorTech MP60, but just one. Holy crap does that thing produce some flow!!! However, in my haste to correct the extreme low flow problem I had I created another one.... Too much flow, and constantly in only one direction.

What I would like to do is create a "circular" flow in the tank, and randomize it so it changes every few hours or so just like a tide would. I know there is a term for this, but I just can't think of it at this time. So the flow would be like this.

Now. I know I would not need MP60's to do this in a tank my size, I am obviously not trying to create coral/fish soup! So would MP40's be the right size? Or should I use MP10's?

The second part of this question is in most examples where this type of flow is created the VorTech's are mounted at an even height on either end of the tank, with two in the front and two in the back directly across from one another. BUT because my tank is not very wide from front to back, and the overflows get in the way do you think I could mount them on either end of the tank with two up high on either end and two down lower on either end? So the flow would at times go from left to right across the bottom, and from right to left across the top, then vise versa during other parts of the day.

03silvertj is offline   Reply With Quote