View Single Post
Unread 05/11/2010, 10:26 PM   #13
Stuart60611
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowermanKW View Post
I got mine from Warner Marine. WM suggests 250ml/50g of water. So I will be running 500ml.

I do understand why it is suggested to run GFO. From reading on this new technology, nobody has ever suggested N or P are "broke down", rather they are consumed/absorbed by the growing bacteria and then removed via skimming just like regular carbon dosing has always done. At least that's my understanding.

My N and P are already low, so I am going to just run EcoBak straight with GAC and no GFO just to see what my PO4 does. I just ran a new batch of GFO and my PO4 is .008 with a D-D Merck kit. So I'm starting with a clean tank.
You are correct, and I think I used a poor choice of words when I described the pellets as "breaking down" nitrate or phosphate and also understand that the pellets work exactly as you describe in effect as a solid carbon dose. However, what I found interesting by the description of these is that it appears Warner Marine is suggesting that their pellets be used instead of GFO rather than in conjunction with GFO which is often recomended with bio pellets. To me, this may suggest that perhaps the Warner Marine pellets being made from a different polymer serving as a carbon dose promote the growth of a different bacterial mix than the bio pellets which is more condusive to consuming phosphate. Otherwise, why would the Warner Marine pellets be used to replace GFO as opposed to be used in conjunction with GFO like the bio pellets.

Stuart60611 is offline   Reply With Quote