View Single Post
Unread 05/05/2012, 07:45 AM   #90
markaren
Registered Member

Some how this reminds me of hunting Deer. This is a good thing that seems bad...let me explain with deer anyway. The hunters are very educated about deer...they contribute to their survival through control. The hunters are the ones that sit a lifetime in the silent woods enjoying nature "completely"...the deer is rare to see for the most part. We have no wild cats or wolves like we used to. Deer populate without control, and disease. Deer are responsible for more human deaths than any other animal on the planet. Example: Mom driving sees a deer (or squirrel) and thinks "oh no...cute deer and instead of hitting the animal she steers left into another car perhaps killing both or right into a tree killing herself and her children are left without. The deer can be hit by a car and live...they are amazingly tough. I digress.

Our hobby is the reason for the above posts. And that is quite a bit different than the deer scenario and the hunter that ensures population through taking a deer. A fish may live its live in the ocean with predators or live a life in a take without. Odd balance of reality it might be to justify 'is this a good thing or a bad thing'...I think as touched on that it is good. Our systems are advancing like crazy compared to 20 years ago. As I read I seem to sense that responsible harvesting will promote ethical following. I would personally pay more for the very same fish if I new the chain of purchase was a published treatment advantage to responsible harvesting. This is how free enterprise works best without regulation. Just the truth ...and good people make good decisions. We just need to know who treats the fish badly and we won't buy from them. Most of us have enough money to not be cheap or we could not afford to do this anyway, right? We can only have a hand full of fish so ...lets spend on fish with a few more questions at purchase time. We can not do this without a whistle blower to let us know who the bads ones are ...right? ...right

Last edited by markaren; 05/05/2012 at 07:48 AM. Reason: spelling
markaren is offline   Reply With Quote