View Single Post
Unread 12/03/2011, 11:28 PM   #29
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padrino View Post
Congrats with the split.

Great update peter! In terms of your mangrove system, you mentioned that the growth is great from the plasmas however the heat and nuisance algae was very evident. Hopefully switching over to LEDs will reduce these issues but will most likely slow the growth on the mangrove. Do you even need to have fast growth on them? Will that make a difference in terms of nutrient export?

I look forward to Shawn's new store, I will travel from Barrie to visit!
Cheers
Rob
I got lost in the split and preoccupied with the store project, so I will try to catch up. I have been posting on behalf of Orphek in their sponsor forum here on RC and when the dust settles will be posting more often here.

As you all know, reef tanks are never "done", and I think that is what keeps it interesting. We will have some updates in the coming weeks as we continue to fine tune Peter's aquarium.

I'm not sure if it's the slow flow rate or plasma lighting that is causing the red candy floss algae (Asparagopsis taxiformis) bloom. We will change just the lighting and see if that slows it down. I am working on some new multi chip LED fixtures for Orphek that we will test with the mangrove system soon.

I have never seen mangroves grow at the rate at which Peter's have. Hopefully the secret isn't the plasma lights and the LEDs are as good or better.

mr.wilson is offline   Reply With Quote