View Single Post
Unread 02/01/2012, 02:09 PM   #951
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_wille_zur_macht View Post
The BOM on google is more or less up to date. I just used it to order parts last week and everything from Mouser was in stock.

The Typhon was really designed to control LEDs, with the potential for expansion. There's nothing in the core project to do what you're describing out of the box, but the potential is definitely there. A popular way to get temps is to use one wire temp sensors (DS1820). A popular way to read switch states and turn pumps on and off would be to use an I2C I/O berakout board (see the one that's a part of the Hydra project) with a relay board.

Speaking of the Hydra, it was really designed from the ground up to be a whole-tank controller, so it has some things out of the box that the Typhon does not have. But, of course, they're both Arduino-based, so they basically have the same potential functionality. It's really a matter of what comes out of the box as part of the design vs. what you have to build yourself.

Thanks Der. The Typhon will probably do for now as the rest is just eye candy more or less Both of the LED setups allow for dimming and I think it would be better for the tank in the long run if I went that route. The potentiometers are fine but tieing a brightness to a rolling time means I probably get a more accurate and consistent light in the end.

I wouldn't know where to put the temp sensor as you suggest I'm afraid. I'm ok with putting the parts together and the solder, etc. But adding in things is a bit over my skill set today. 10 years or so ago maybe

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote