View Single Post
Unread 12/02/2011, 04:48 PM   #20
CalmSeasQuest
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Holmes-Farley View Post
A reflected beam burned your skin? Imagine what it would do to your eye?

IMO, this sounds so dangerous to ones eyes that I think this thread should be flagged with a huge warning if not removed. I've never seen a thread advocating something so dangerous before (and I've seen a lot of dangerous practices in threads. )
A primary goal of this thread was to inform and educate prospective users of laser technology as to not only the benefits, but the significant safety concerns and safeguards that need to be adhered to. As the cost of high power diodes drop, it is a fore drawn conclusion that people will experiment with lasers in marine aquaria.

Rather than ban, I hope RC recognizes the opportunity to educate with the goal of avoiding injuries. In this case, the education is paramount, not only to protect the user, but any observers (intended or inadvertent.)

To stress the importance of education, consider someone who purchases or borrows a laser to kill aquarium pests. They will likely not know that the very safety goggles designed to protect him/her from injury, prevent the viewing of beam reflections potentially dangerous to both livestock as well as any bystanders.

As for educating fellow aquarists - If not us, who?

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

Current Tank Info: 96X30" 270Gal, Kessil 360WEs, BK250 Double Cone, 400 gal ASW station with continuous water change
CalmSeasQuest is offline   Reply With Quote