View Single Post
Unread 03/23/2012, 12:18 PM   #8
saf1
Registered Member

One thing I'd suggest is that you wait until you actually get certified before you buy any gear if truth be told. What happens if you have trouble equalizing again or find you don't really enjoy it after all?

Lots of people gave some great advise especially about equalizing before, often, and letting the instructor or DM know before you hit the water. I have trouble with my ears and always let my dive partner know or DM if I'm on a charter. There are a lot of various tricks to equalize so try them all and you will find one that works. Other than that be careful and manage your accents and you should be ok.

I live in Northern California so dive in cold water in Monterey or up in Lake Tahoe. I made sure my gear could sustain that temperature. Not only regs but also my wet suit ( I don’t dive dry…yet) has to be able to sustain 45 – 54 degree F water temperatures. If I want to dive, those are the conditions that are near.

Other than that rinse, rinse, and rinse some more after every dive weekend and/or trip. Don’t be shy, rinse again. Use conditioner on the BC and wet suit, try not to pee inside, and do the annual or whatever is required maintenance / inspections. When you get your parts back you will be surprised to see the condition they are in. Just got my BC and regs back last weekend and everything was great and rust free – means I rinsed again 

Lastly - lots of sales around the web on dive gear. Same with local scuba shops. I wouldn't feel pressured buying anything other than what is necessary for the class. Beyond that see what you like, what your interests in future diving, and build a gear set around that.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote