Thread: Kessil A350
View Single Post
Unread 06/24/2012, 12:26 PM   #352
Aimforever
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanAnimal View Post
That is a 2 x 150 watt metal halide tank that will stustain anything anywhere in the tank. Using 2 x 250 watt bulbs on a tank of those dimensions would be suitable but approaching (if not certainly) overkill. There is simply no way on this planet that a 4' tank needs 2 x 400 Watt halides under any circumstances. I am not defending the Kessil lights (hell, most folks around here think I am an LED hater) but being upset that (2) LED fixtures that consume a total of ~200W are not as bright as (2) MH that consume ~1000W is kind of silly. I don't think any reasonable person expects a 100W pendant to be able to compete with a 500W fixture. LEDs are growing in efficiency, but still nowhere near 5x more efficient than conventional arc lamps.
You must have misread my posts since I certainly never stated that I was upset that the Kessils didn't have the same output as a 400w MH. That would be absurd. I was just trying to help answer the OP's question about switching from 400w radions to A350s and felt that it would take roughly 3x 350s to deliver similar output. Whether or not this is overkill for a particular sized tank is sort of irrelevant to the original question.

I disagree that 2x 250w halides is "approaching (if not certainly) overkill" for a 120 gallon tank, but of course that is just my opinion based on my successes and preferences. For many years I used 2x 250s + 4x 54 watt T5s over a 120 with excellent results and I would hesitate to even call that overkill. I know a few reefers who use 400w radions over their similar sized tanks also with excellent results. I agree perhaps it is approaching overkill, but to say "there is no way on this planet under any circumstances..." is pretty close minded. At the end of the day all that matters is are you getting good growth and do you like the way it looks. There are an infinite number of ways to acheive that and the kessils are certianly one great option.

Last edited by Aimforever; 06/24/2012 at 12:35 PM.
Aimforever is offline   Reply With Quote