View Single Post
Unread 01/03/2018, 05:18 PM   #36
Dan_P
Registered Member

1) “All this implements a very low nitrification and denitrification capacity.”

2) “An aquarium system that is kept in balance by carbohydrate dosing has a limited carrying capacity. Such systems are vulnerable for a system crash due to the well known new tank syndrome.”

3) “Once started dosing it may be difficult to stop”

I think the above three statements are the key proposals or conjectures concerning carbon dosing.

I have wondered to what extent carbon dosing diminishes our normal or assumed normal nitrification-denitrification system. I think a genomic survey during the start up of carbon dosing would need to be conducted to look for the population shift in bacterial species to address this hypothesis. The literature I have come across would seem to suggest that one could expect an impact on the nitrification-denitrification system.

The second conjecture is of a quantitative nature which I assume refers to a system’s ammonia removal capability, or is it the nitrate removal capability? The claim of an increase risk of a system crash is new to me. Also, system crash is a hobby term that is loosely defined. New tank syndrome, or bad beginner’s luck, is also too broadly used. But if system crash and new tank syndrome refers to high ammonia concentration, then I would ask where is the data of carbon dosing causing ammonia spikes. Anyway, the proposal needs clarification.

Finally, the third proposal might be derivative of the aphorism “never change or do anything quickly to an aquarium”. Has anyone suddenly stopped dosing carbon and observed what happens? Maybe not.

Good discussion so far.

Dan

Dan_P is offline   Reply With Quote