View Single Post
Unread 02/26/2008, 07:30 PM   #6
MeuserReef
Welcome to the next level

Quote:
Originally posted by kcress
Hi MeuserReef.

Whatever you do make sure you put in some shear bracing! I frequently see steel tubing stands that have none. All you need to do is lean on one end and you can get these stands to rack,(trapezoid to the floor). That would be really ugly, maybe even fatal if it racks onto someone.

It can even just be a mostly solid plywood back, just something! I'd add steel diagonals myself.

As for tubing. I would use 1-1/2" square. And since you say you aren't an experienced welder I would opt for thicker. Use 0.125" wall. It is heavier but much harder to blow through and mess up than the thinner walls.

I'd expect to pay about $150-$200 for a powder coat job. You can ask around as almost all powder coaters do motorcycle frames and I would see them as being about the same. A motor cycle takes more effort as it has many hidden angles, but a stand may have more surface,(material cost). So you can probably ask, "How much to do a motorcycle frame"? And avoid the, "I don't know I have to see it first", responses.
Excellent information. Thank You!

mflamb.... What size tubing is that? It looks really good. If mine comes out even 1/2 as nice as that one, I will still be happy!

Current Tank Info: tankless
MeuserReef is offline   Reply With Quote