View Single Post
Unread 05/26/2015, 09:27 AM   #1131
Mikefromaz
Registered Member

My problem is not so much tried and true stuff like nitrate and phosphate control. My real problem ws the hsir algae was getting put of control and I misread the low nitrate as "no" nitrate. Of course the HAwas gobbling it up. Reviewing what I was doing wrong I had to take a hard look at the way I was feeding the fish. The big mistake on my part was throwing the flake food in the sump chamber with the return pump. A lot of food simply never made it to the tank. Nitrate factory for sure and I was too willing to believe the low nitrate test results. Someone a lot smarter than me once wrote on here If ypu fon' know exactly what ypu are doing to your reef don't do it. I managed to turn a cosmetic problem into a disaster by not researching any potential side effects of marine algae killers. So far I've lost about 20 snails, three stonies, and my foot high nepthea is losing pieces of itself. If that stress continues with it being as toxic as it can be there is a real risk to the remaining corals. Time for a carbon change (grin). About 12 years ago I had a single Tonga mushroom die in my amazingly successful 80gal reef. Ten years without a single coral loss. Anyway it released turpenes when it died. Seventy two hours later every coral in my tank was history. I always pass that along. Thanks for your post and good luck.

Mikefromaz is offline   Reply With Quote