Thread: Weeds
View Single Post
Unread 11/22/2019, 03:54 PM   #1169
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Following your progress has been a fascinating process for me. Interesting about the shoal grass. Does that species usually mix in with manatee grass? Did you consider two separate grass beds for each species and meeting together? Or, is there so much shoal grass that it's outcompeting the manatee grass for nutrients?

BTW, a Florida blenny would never have a problem competing for food. Their behavior is much like the blennies that I kept. Here's a video of one of the feeding times where my daughter is feeding them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz9iLiCqUNE&t=44s

Also, notice the mummichog (killifish) in the video. They're fast at getting to the food...the blennies pretty much beat him to the food most of the time, leaving him picking up scraps.

Another plus about Florida blennies is that I doubt very much that they'd eat algae of any kind. They are so closely related to the ones that I have, so I'm confident that their behaviors would mirror mine. They're strictly meat eaters. When I fed them Rod's food, which has bits of macro algae in it, they'd try and eat it but always spit it out. They never grazed on algae of any kind. My only concern with them in your tank is if you had fish small enough to fit in their mouths. Down the road, if the barnacle blennies die off and you're looking for something else, these are inexpensive options, and tons of personality. Just something to ponder as your tank evolves.

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote