View Single Post
Unread 03/06/2016, 04:01 AM   #3247
tastyfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdenR View Post
I agree, they aren't pointless they are actually a very valuable tool. The only point I'm making is that extended blackouts are pointless. We know blackouts aren't the cure, dinos will come back. The strongest reason to incorporate them into the overall plan of attack is to simply kick the dinos back in order to give competition a chance. And many people have now come back with successful results in using 3 day blackouts followed by dirty and pod/phyto dosing. For those that went longer blackouts, they've reported coral deaths. By killing your livestock you are only feuling your dinos.

The enemy right now isn't just dinos themselves but misinformation and bad advice. @tastyfish seems to like contradicting good advice, i.e. Porkchop's method, karim's UV suggestions, etc with his own terroble advice about blacking out your tank for more than 8 days! That's not helpful especially when infected reefers are already desperately trying to fix their tanks.

Hmmm.. There are a number of ways to respond to that. However, I will bite my tongue as is often required on this forum more than other and repeat what I already stated ( as you perhaps didn't actually read it). My approach is based on what worked for me, in my tank. formed along with other much more experienced reefers than me who have dealt with and failed or dealt with a succeeded against dinoflagellates in multiple tanks. (I missed your qualifications if they exceed everyone else's, so apologies if that is the case).

If you had taken the time to read my posts, (more than perhaps the first line) rather than launch a personal attack, then perhaps you would understand this and also the warnings on the approach.

A blackout alone will not defeat them. I have stated this in almost every single post. It's not for everyone, there will be some casualties. It's a risk you need to weigh up vs the dinoflagellates coming back. But it worked for me and others (who by the way have amazing SPS tanks).

It's easy to dismiss what you don't understand, likewise if you cannot defend a challenge to your thinking, then I'd suggest that you don't understand it yourself.

Last edited by tastyfish; 03/06/2016 at 04:13 AM.
tastyfish is offline   Reply With Quote