View Single Post
Unread 12/28/2016, 11:59 AM   #5
rayjay
Registered Member

IMO Phytoplankton is OK to use as a food for growing the artemia, but for an enrichment, you would need multiple species to provide the proper enrichment. It's not an easy task for me and some others to grow species other than nannochloropsis so I purchase the powdered ones of which Dan's is the best.
Spirulina is an excellent food source that I use as the grow food for my artemia right to adult stage and it is also the main ingredient in "Dan's Food" along with Schizochytrium that is the best DHA enrichment I've ever seen, plus many other things as well. Like when using Dan's Food for enrichment, the spirulina should be micronized by blending in a blender for a minimum of two minutes before using. I pour through a rotifer screen into two litre bottles that I store in the fridge.
With regards to the hydrogen peroxide treatment, I can't find where Dan posted his proceedure but as I've copied it down I can put it here:
Quote:
From Dan Underwood of seahorsesource.com: I use 35% Hydrogen Peroxide. Local chemical supply company has it for $8.00 gallon. I believe it is industrial grade. 35% has 390,100 mg/L or 390.1 mg/ml. I round that off to 400 mg/ml for most of my calculations. So I add 20 ml to 1 liter (20ml X 400mg = 8,000 mg).
3 % Hydrogen Peroxide = 33.9 mg/ml according to my calculation. I have seen many figure it at 30 mg/ml. To use this I would add 250 ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide to 750 ml water.
When i do this, I add the artemia to a hatching cone with strong aeration for mixing and then add the peroxide. After 45 seconds to 1 minute, I pull the airline. The live artemia will migrate to the bottom of the cone. Unhatched cysts, dead artemia and debris will collect on the surface in the foam. At the end of 5 minutes, I open the valve on the bottom of the cone and drain the live artemia into a net with freshwater running. I stop about 1 inch from the foam layer.

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote