Thread: CT 400 Build
View Single Post
Unread 04/24/2017, 07:09 AM   #18
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I have been thinking about a bigger tank for a while and have debated glass versus acrylic. I did explore options and builders for both. I do worry about scratching with acrylic, but experienced users have assured me that it is quite manageable. The weight of the 400 gallon acrylic tank is about 500 pounds empty, the same sized glass tank is about 1,300. Cost (once freight is factored in) is about the same.

I haven't given a great deal of thought to the fate of the 265 (a glass tank). It's 4 years old, so plenty of life left in it and it ought to be saleable; though large used tanks are hard to move at anything more than pennies on the dollar. I have plenty of storage space in the garage, so probably I will try to sell it at a fair price; failing that I'll just store it until certain I won't reuse it for something else; or maybe donate it to a local club.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs

Last edited by ca1ore; 04/24/2017 at 07:14 AM.
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote