View Single Post
Unread 12/28/2017, 11:38 AM   #2508
KJoFan
Registered Member

I have discussed this in the FB SC group, but I'll also post here for others' opinions that might not be present there.

I have many seams on my new 150g, especially along the bottom seam that seem to be pretty thin on silicone between the panes. As we all know, the silicone between the panes is the stuff that matters, hence my concern. Some is thin enough that a good portion of one seam is exposed.

I measured the thin areas just along the front bottom seam and come up with about 30 of the 60" with this problem.

Am I headed for trouble down the road with this? Are these areas weaker and likely to leak when the tank is full long term?

I tried to take a photo to represent what I mean, though it's hard to capture exactly. This is taken looking up at the bottom from underneath. You'll see that a good portion of one pane is exposed from the lack of silicone.

I did reach out to Steve about it and received this response:

"I’ve seen the picture that you sent me, the silicone that actually hold the tank together are between the seams which you will not able to touch them, the silicone that you can touch is filled for cosmic purpose only, they aren’t the structure silicone seam. I am ensure that your tank will not leak and is safe to use."

I want to trust what he says but I have seen some issues with quality control from others purchases lately and want to be sure before I go on with my build.

What do you all think? I can attempt to provide more pictures if needed. These thin areas are visible when looking at the tank from the front, you can see light along the bottom seam everywhere the silicone is lacking.

KJoFan is offline   Reply With Quote